Monday, January 14, 2008

Someone died today

Yes, someone had died today. He who was my neighbor for 8 years; he who was a really nice and gentle man; he who was still walking and talking four months ago died today. He lost his battle to vicious cancer... He probably didn't even get to meet his newborn grandchild. His daughter-in-law probably couldn't be joyous for being a new mother, his son probably couldn't be happy that he is a daddy now. And his wife could be left all alone in the house that they built their lives together. The saddest of all is that his grandchild will never meet his grandfather and knowing that his birthday was a few days before today.
Someone told me, I should not feel sadden or the sense of lost. But what a short journey of life???
At the same time that eulogy was being delivered. I received an email from my friend that has a picture album from her recent Christmas family trip. Her son, who's one year plus today is growing bigger day after day, months after months. She has a beautiful family, from what I'm able to see, my friend's parents-in-law adore her son.
What a distinct contrast???
I've experienced my own grandparents deaths. But it never once hit me that human beings are fragile like your beloved antique China. Well mainly because they died of old age. But this man lost his battle to cancer not old age... I thought of myself immediately, I studied nutrition as my major in school and what have I done for myself to preserve my body for as long as I could? Absolutely NOTHING. What a shame ain't it? However, I have been doing pretty good sticking to my new year's resolutions. So, this will be the beginning of my journey to preserve life, a good quality life.
I hope you'd do the same for you. =)

No comments: