Monday, December 10, 2007

To serve or not to serve?

For those of you out there deciding to put your foot forward to study overseas and those whom are already out there doing your thing. Have you ever thought of where your future would be? Or where do YOU want YOUR future to be?
If you have read my previous blog, you would know that I'd lived outside of my country for a number of years... I had also contemplated over and over again if I should move back to the place where I was born and raised, by having "I want serve my own people" in my mind*. Though I had made the decision to return home. I still question myself from time to time... Well more so after my boss and some of my friends lay this question over me. "Why did you came back?*" I think about who am I serving because I worked at WIC clinic for almost two years in Chicago. Serving Chicagoans everyday, helping women and children there to live a healthful life and helping babies to have a greater chance of surviving. While I should be carin' and servin' "my kind". I know I know, we are all the same, it doesn't matter where we are from and what do we look like. But I bear this conscience day in and out. So, I came back and the obvious reason, my family is here.
*With that my boss raised a very good Q. Do the people that you served appreciate what you have done for them?
I think it is very important for you to think ahead how would you answer these Qs. Did you go overseas to study and get the hell out? OR use it as an excuse to get their PR and eventually serving their people?? Yes people change and things change. You might think this at the beginning and change your mind to that after N number of years... However, it is good to put some thought into it now. So that it wouldn't be such a struggle later on. Some people managed to abandon everything (circle of friends, networks, credit history, way of life, financial benefits, etc) they put together throughout their college lives and go home. Some people cannot. Some people went home, hit a few walls (hard ones), and eventually left again... Who would you be?

1 comment:

yinkheay said...

lol. I guess you dunno who you would be yet as well. =P Dun worry, time will tell you where you wanna go in the future. Treasure every moment you are having now.